Where in the World is Jon?

Greetings from Lao PDR. I am making a quick trip here at the invitation of the Mennonite Central Committee to do an assessment of an emerging project that has elements of religious diversity, training youth in communications skills and respect as well as curriculum writing. This is the first trip of four that is planned for the coming year.

With Therevada Buddhist Priest

Dodging a snowstorm by a few hours, I landed 36 hours later in a place I had not been to since 2006. The changes in Vientiane are dramatic with building happening everywhere, infrastructure enhancements and tourists thick on the street.

I hit the ground running the day of my arrival in Laos by meeting with Buddhist and Muslim leaders who are interested in the effort to enhance interreligious understanding. This is going to be a fascinating project that has great potential to contribute positively to a country that has overcome many challenges in the past 50 years. More on that in the next post.

Posted in: Laos

2 comments

1. Mike says:

wow — good for you and MCC!

2. Kay says:

Jon – this is exciting. Hoping E-town students realize how fortunate they are with you bringing all your real-world experiences into the classroom.