End of Enemy Series

1. Human Security Goal

Since taking on an advisory role for the Alliance for Peacebuilding I have been pondering the meaning of security in light of the stream of violence and fear that wash through our news each day.

I contend that the opposite of violence is not peace. It is imagination and creation. To put energy into these enterprises will bring about a human centered security that truly fits the UN definition  . . . freedom from want, freedom from fear and a life lived with dignity.

Focusing on fighting the enemy, is I believe, a distraction from nurturing the deep roots of securitypeople_army_officers_team and inner peace. I can imagine a day when the human race will no longer waste so much energy on fighting the enemy and will instead focus on satisfying our most pressing needs as well as imagining and creating the things that fill our deepest desires and those of others.  In the coming few blog posts I will be contemplating true human-centered security in light of one of the grand visions I am working toward; the end of the enemy paradigm.  I will ponder a few ideas and skills that will suggest how to create this new human space where genuine security can thrive for the earth and ALL her inhabitants.

Posted in: End of Enemy, Musings

4 comments

1. Kevin Shorner-Johnson says:

Have enjoyed following your blog! I am reading Nel Noddings “Peace Education” and Wendell Berry among others this summer. Nel Noddings takes a critical feminist stance to look at masculine language and action. She would argue that the opposite of violence is a feminine ethic of caring. This is ethic utilizes imagination, place, and relationship within focused and actionable love. Some aspects of Noddings I struggle with, but I am fascinated by her take on peace education. I also love Wendell Berry’s concept of imagination in his lecture “It all turns on affection” http://www.neh.gov/news/2012-jefferson-lecture-wendell-berry

Love reading your processing and thoughts!

• Thanks Kevin and Carolyn. I say yes and yes to these thoughts. I sometimes struggle with conceptualizing a world that has no enemy. Yet I am not saying there is no struggle, no imbalance because that is life itself… the O2 sats of our blood keeping our lungs pumping. So what to do with imbalance?

2. Paul says:

Thank you Jon! I am with you!

3. Carolyn says:

As Marshall Rosenberg suggests…”most of us grew up speaking a language that encourages us to label, compare, demand, and pronounce judgments rather than to be aware of what we are feeling and needing.” I have lots to learn on all this.