End of Enemy Series

1. Alternate language

Have you ever pondered if and how our very use of language keeps us focused on the fight with enemies? For example, what do we call the dots in front of a series of items on a page?  Bullet points?  Have you ever noticed how soaked the English Language is with war making? Take these examples:

• ideas shot down
  • attack a problem
  • more ammunition for the argumentpearl points
  • magic bullets
  • combat illness
  • campaigns and crusades for issues
  • bombed=failed
  • aim your sights higher
  • in the trenches
  • doing battle with my kids
  • charge into a situation
  • armed with the facts
  • taking flack for some decision
  • fight for justice
  • saying ‘shoot’ when I goof up
  • drawing the battle lines
  • ambush journalism

And if that were not enough we are constantly urged by advertisers to “arm ourselves against” ignorance, insurance fraud, termites ….” We declare war, endless wars on drugs, poverty, corruption, crime, cancer, rust, toilet bowl rings.

I am tired of war. I want something different and I believe the place to start is my own thinking which directly impacts my language.

I challenge you, until the next posting in a few days, to find alternative, more organic ways to say the things listed above without the aggressive, warmongering language.

Posted in: Crazy Ideas for Peace, End of Enemy, Musings

6 comments

1. Mary says:

Great food for thought. I’ll work on it.

2. LarryN says:

Thanks Jon… How about “onward Christian soldier”… Even our competitive sports fight to the bitter end… I like the orchestra model where each does their best, and the concert is the blending/composite of individuals in community! Also like the biological model of seeds and growth… Larry n

3. Amy Shorner-Johnson says:

Jon, I love this! Some of these I am deeply aware of, and some are new for me to realize. I am sharing this,
    Amy

4. Great piece. This is a practice I’ve tried to embody for the last few years. One phrase that I could do without is “it strikes me” or “does it strike you.” I know there’s power in evoking that percussive action, but I can do without that.

Your post reminded me a lot of one Kevin Shorner-Johnson wrote on “The Heroic Justice of Grammatical and Stylistics Decisions.” https://sowingtheseed.org/2016/03/21/the-heroic-justice-of-grammatical-and-stylistic-decisions/

• Thanks Richard. Great point on the ‘striking.’ Never thought of that one. Kevin’s piece is really thoughtful. Feel free to share these blogs on Sowing the Seed if you wish.

5. Pingback: The Term “Warrior” | Jonathan "Jon" Rudy